My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://dogblog.8pawsup.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Still Licking Paw

Dakota is still licking her paw, only this time she has moved onto another paw as well. It usually is her right back paw that she is giving the most attention and yet there really isn't anything wrong with it. One would assume it would be the dog food but we just opened a new bag and it would take a few days for any signs of allergic reaction to show up on her skin. My thought is that it is environmental because her eye discharge (AKA "eye junk") has returned slightly. Also, I have been suffering with abnormal allergies the last few days as well since the temperature in Wisconsin has been up and down by 20+ degrees every other day.

Both pups are playing fine and are, at this very minute, running around like mad little women and destroying my house. There is no lack of energy or mood change. Needless to say, I am slightly confused by it all but not ready to run to the vet for something like this. Dakota isn't missing any fur on that paw and isn't biting at it - she is just licking it at. Hopefully the weather will become stable here and she can return to her normal obsessive compulsive "football" fetish.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There,
I'm Kinda Familier with the whole itchy paw syndrome myself, I found my lab Harley not only licking the paws but scratching all over. I took him to the vet and just as i assumed he had allergies to grass, pollen, ragweed that kinda thing. Anyway sounds like to me that he might have a very mild case of allergies, as long as he isn't licking to the point where his paws are becoming raw and irriated i don't think you have much to worrie about! Just for your knowledge in case it does get worse, your vet will most likely send you home with a small bottle of these floresent pink pills that do wonders!

Best of luck :)

September 27, 2006 10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm not sure if anyone will read this soon, but my chocolate seems to be really going nuts chewing his feet. They are now red and look like they are getting raw. Should I take him to the vet immediately or try some Benadryl for allergies? I've been reading other blogs and others have suggested lamb and rice. I'll switch as soon as his bag is empty which is another week. Any other tips would be helpful. Thanks!

May 26, 2008 8:36 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Julie,

Chewing paws is usually an allergic reaction to the dog food but it could be something he was walking on as well that caused it. If he were my dog, I would give him 1mg of Benedryl per each pound he weighed to help alleviate the symptoms now. Then I would wash his paws with some gentle puppy shampoo (oatmeal shampoo is best) and slowly change out his food to lamb.

You said he only has a week left on this bag... now is the perfect time to switch him because you have to go it slowly by mixing a little of the new food in with his old food every day. As the days progress, you increase the amount of the new food while decreasing the amount of the old food until you wean him off of it entirely. You do not want to just jump from one to the other as it will cause a lot of digestive problems including bloating, painful gas, and the runs.

Best of luck!

May 27, 2008 6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found a website called dogpawlickin.com that mentions Labs as one of the most common breeds for paw licking and has some alternative theories that I hadn't heard before. My Tucker drives me crazy at night and some of the stuff they suggested helped a lot.

February 05, 2009 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home