My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Sweetener Toxic to Dogs!

Altoids Chewing Gum
A sugar substitute found in a variety of sugar-free and dietetic cookies, mints and chewing gum is proving highly toxic, even fatal, to snack-snatching dogs.

Xylitol, popular in Europe for decades but a relative newcomer to the U.S. alternative-sweeteners market, can be "very, very serious" to dogs when ingested, says Dana Farbman, spokeswoman for the Animal Poison Control Center of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

"It doesn't take a whole lot (of xylitol), and the effects are so rapid that the window of opportunity to treat the dog is extremely small," Farbman says.

The ASPCA sent an advisory to veterinarians last August warning them about the potential for serious harm or death. Veterinarians have used a variety of means to get the word out, including posting signs in their offices and making copies of the bulletin for clients to augment the caution the ASPCA has posted on its website.

[Read full article here]

Labels: ,


Blogger DESERT PUPS said...

Woof, Lab Brats
Who in the heck is giving their dogs chewing gum? Probably some stupid human, you know there's alot of them out there.
Desert pups here just saying woof and roaming the streets looking for new pals.

Scuba, Keiko, Norman and Toby from Life Inside The Fence

July 11, 2008 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home