My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://dogblog.8pawsup.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ice Retriever

Chey: Ice Lab Retriever
Beneath all the snow is a ton of ice. During our snow removal over the weekend, we noticed that not everyone hates the tons of ice left behind. Sure, we humans think it is a pain in the rear but to Cheyenne, it is a goldmine!

I would give both Dakota and Cheyenne ice as puppies to help with their teething. Dakota loved the ice while she needed it but soon turned her nose up to anything but the finest dog and human foods. Cheyenne though is a Labrador Retriever through and through. She immediately took to eating the ice as a puppy and hasn't stopped.

We thought her ice eating was limited to what lurks in our freezer but found out over the weekend that she is not picky. As my husband and I threw chunks of ice from the mouth of our driveway onto the huge snow pile to its side, we found Cheyenne diving head first into the 3ft snow pile to retrieve the huge chunks of ice and bring them over to front yard where the snow wasn't as deep so that she could chomp on them.

I am not talking about little chunks of ice either! I am talking about chunks of ice weighing the same as at least a gallon of milk, if not more! To our 73lb Cheyenne, they were earthly treasures that should not be discarded in such fashion. No matter how many or how large, she would continue to dive into the huge snow pile, retrieve another piece and bring it to her already huge collection of ice chunks for her to enjoy eating at her leisure.

When we moved into the backyard to finish up our snow removal, we both turned to see her trotting up the driveway with one of her larger prized ice chunks. It was so large I was waiting for her back legs to come off the ground in order to balance out the weight. Cheyenne didn't care how large it was - it was ice and it was all hers!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is nice to know that other dogs do this too! When we had snow Lambert would go outside to potty and on his way back in he would grab some ice and bring it in. I soon figured out that he was "asking" to go out just to get the ice. He cracks me up. Hope you had a nice Easter and I hope the bunny brought the girls a good treat.

March 25, 2008 5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 7 month old Lab has always loved snow and ice. Like you we started giving her ice cubes when she was teething (she's close to finished now) and she still loves getting an ice cube as a treat. She'll also chew on icy snow outside.

Midnight has loved snow from day one. She runs and jumps in it, plows through it face first, rolls in it etc. LOL it's fun to watch. Given her taste for snow I'm pretty sure she'll like water in the summer.

I just wanted to say that I love your site and I'm adding it to my blogroll. I came across it as I was searching for info about labs going into heat. I think Midnight might be approaching heat as I thought her vulva looked a little swollen last night. She's also reverted to three month old behavior in the last two weeks. Terrible two's and hormones maybe?

March 28, 2008 1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home