My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://dogblog.8pawsup.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Back to Basics?

Chey: Tired Chocolate Pup
A high-pitched bark wakes us from our slumber. It is Cheyenne letting us know once again that she needs us. Normally I wouldn't mind but at 1:30am, you have to be a little put out.

For the last week, the "wee one" in our house has been waking us up at 1:30am to go potty and poopy. Strange behavior it is. You see, both Labs go out around 10pm and don't have to go out again until at least 5:30am. So what's up with Cheyenne that she now has to go in the middle of the night?

It isn’t that she is wide awake and wants to play or anything. As soon as she is done going to the bathroom, she trots right back into the house and straight to the back of the house and in her crate to return to sleep. No commands are given for her to settle down. She just wakes us, does what she has to do, and returns to her bed.

Originally I thought it was some treat we may have given that has upset her stomach. Of course, you can keep an eagle eye on Cheyenne and she will still eat something she shouldn’t outside. (She is a Labrador Retriever after all!) So, I figured we would not give her any treats (other than her normal dog treat) and let this emergency middle of the night bathroom call run itself out. But, it is not running itself out after a whole week. So, now I have to wonder - did she truly get into something that is upsetting her tummy or has her body decided to put itself on a new (and annoying) bathroom schedule?

This leads me with a decision to make. Do I go back to basics and crate her during the night, like we did when she was a pup, so that we have control over slowly bringing her bathroom habits back to 5:30am or let nature run its course? Definitely a tough call... definitely something that needs a bit of thinking...

Wish us luck!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

That's so funny you should post this! I've been having the same issue with Diesel. My fiance is swinging between days and afternoons 2 weeks at a time. When he is on afternoons, Diesel wakes up at about 3 AM EVERY NIGHT to go to the bathroom...it's very weird/ very annoying...

March 14, 2008 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may want to have her checked for a urinary tract infection. My lab did this twice at different times in her life, and each time it was due to urinary infection and/or upset stomache. In the case of the latter, it pretty much resolved itself after a couple of days.

March 14, 2008 11:04 AM  
Blogger Jenelle said...

My dog has been doing this too...which is how I discovered your blog. I'll check out the urinary infection possibility. Good idea. One magical thing we found for housetraining by the way, are Poochie Bells. You hang these bells on your door(s) and your dog has a reliable way of telling you when he/she needs to go out. Our puppy came to us in October at 7 weeks of age. He learned to use the bells in a week and a half right before Thanksgiving and hasn't had an accident since. I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Good luck with the middle of the night thing. I'm hoping it passes in our household too.

March 15, 2008 4:46 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Kate - has Diesel been checked out by the vet to make sure there aren't any problems or is he just being stubborn? ;)

Anon - Getting her checked was my next step but I am proud to say that this morning she woke me up at 5:58am. I actually got to sleep in!

Jenelle - I would check with your vet too after a week or so. This was a problem for Cheyenne all week and just this morning we were able to sleep in until 5:58am before she started to bark. That is 28 minutes past their normal wake time which means it is no longer a problem! *woo hoo!* I would give it about a week and see if your pup's problem clears up like Cheyenne's. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

March 15, 2008 6:14 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Hi Shannon,
Nope, he hasn't been checked, but he's fine - it only happens when my fiance (Jeff) is on afternoons. I don't know what the deal is. Friday I waited up for Jeff to come home. Diesel stayed up for most of the time, just napping a bit. That night - he did not wake up until the morning - the same with Saturday and Sunday. It's weird - when we all go to bed at the same time, he sleeps through the night. When we don't all go to bed together, he gets up...

March 17, 2008 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home