My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://dogblog.8pawsup.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Drinking Water on Command

Dakota drinking water @ 3 months old
You can bring a Lab to water and make it drink!

Sometimes, dogs need water and trying to get a dog to drink water on command is like pulling teeth. So, how do you get your Labrador Retriever to drink water when it is necessary?

What do I mean by necessary? Well, case in point, Cheyenne and her daddy were playing around the other day when Cheyenne turned and licked some topical ointment off of her daddy. It was an anti-fungal ointment, which is dangerous if ingested. Granted, she only licked a little bit before making one of the strangest faces and knowing that the ointment tasted horrible. However, it was important to get her mouth rinsed with water and hopefully dilute whatever she ingested.

Getting her to drink on command was impossible so I came up with a quick solution. Off I ran and when I returned, I threw some of the dog's kibble into her water bowl. She started to lick up the water eagerly while trying to get the pieces of kibble. Into the bottom of the bowl dove her head and even after she collected all of the kibble, she continued to drink water to quench her thirst after eating something good.

Not to worry - she is fine now and didn't need a trip to the veterinarian. However, this is a great trick that I thought I would pass along should any other dog lovers find themselves in the same situation. Whether your dog is dehydrated and too stubborn to drink some water or your pup has just ingested a little bit of something it shouldn't and you need to hydrate it quickly, this trick should work for all dog owners. It is a very simple solution for the most stubborn of dogs.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ingenius! It is a simple idea! Thanks for passing it along. I am sure it wil come in handy with my "little" one. My chocolate lab is 4 1/2 months and she is already 50lbs. And she eats everything in site!

November 21, 2007 9:31 AM  
Blogger Marla said...

Our dogs will sometimes drop their food in their bowls on purpose. They love ice cubes too. I am glad your pup did not get sick.

November 21, 2007 11:00 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

This is a bit off topic, but after reading Samantha's comment it made me wonder... about how much does the average lab weight at 6 months? My little boy (lol) is 6 1/2 months old and he's about 60 - 63 lbs... I'm wondering about how big he'll get...

November 22, 2007 2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tried this twice today with our 16 month old chocolate Lab, Zoe. Worked great. She wouldn't stop till she got all of the kibble and drank half the bowl of water in the process.

November 22, 2007 8:36 PM  
Blogger Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Thanks for the tip.. Louie and I both like ice cubes...

November 25, 2007 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home