My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Oh No! Elbow Growth!

Prayers seem to be the topic of the day. A couple of days ago, I was giving Dakota a rub down when I noticed a pea-sized bump on her left elbow. At first, I thought it was part of her bony elbow but it moved every time I rubbed the area. Dakota was neither phased nor feeling pain from it.

Dakota Chocolate Lab Dog

Having had dogs my entire life, I know that tumors, cysts, and other types of growth can occur. Needless to say, I immediately called my husband to see what his reaction was to the situation. Since Dakota has her daddy wrapped around her big paw, I could use his emotion on the topic to decide if a vet visit was warranted.

Even though Dakota is only 2.5 years old, we decided to bring her to the vet because growths under the skin can lead to complications. Depending on what the growth is, it could easily grow to be larger and in doing so wrap itself around nerves and blood vessels. Hence, Dakota's limb and life could be at stake.

We headed to the vet yesterday and although he thinks it is nothing more then a cyst, he agrees that it could get out of hand and cause her pain, discomfort, or complications down the road. So, on Tuesday, November 6, 2007, I will be dropping Dakota off bright and early so that she can have surgery to remove the growth. They will need to put her out for this because a local anesthetic in the elbow will not help her to keep that limb still while they try to work. They will not need to keep her overnight or anything so I will be picking her up later that afternoon with just a couple of stitches in her elbow. The growth will be sent out for pathology and they will then determine if it is just a cyst or something we need to be more concerned about. That, of course, will take a week of waiting!

Oh! Since she will be under the anesthetic for the growth removal, we figure that would be a great time to get her pearly whites pearly white again! Heck, it costs around $200 to put her under. We may as well get her engine checked, coolant flushed, and tires rotated while she is in there! (laugh)

I will be sure to update the Lab Brats blog with her progress during next Tuesday's operation and her recovery. Please say a doggy prayer for our beloved Dakota; that she deals with not being able to eat that morning while her sister can, that the surgery goes smoothly, that Cheyenne doesn't go insane being without her sister all day, that Dakota's recovery will be speedy, and that pathology comes back negative on the growth. Thank you and doggy blessings!



Blogger Kate said...

Good luck with Dakota! I'm sure everything will be okay and it's just a little cyst, but I will keep you all in my thoughts that day.

October 31, 2007 8:47 AM  
Anonymous Kristine said...

I'll say some prayers for your pup! I have a 4 year old yellow lab named Wally that I love and adore, I know how anxious something like this can make you. I'm sure she'll be great though!

October 31, 2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger FG167 said...

I am thinking of Dakota! Ironically enough I just went through a similar thing with Midas (he's just over 2 as well), but the lump was on his foot. He had to be put under, it was removed and a biopsy done - it was benign, but I was SO NERVOUS, so I know how you feel and I'm sure it will work out fine!

October 31, 2007 3:04 PM  
Anonymous Joy said...

I have a 2 year old chocolate lab named Slugger and he means the world to me. I would feel the same way if he had to go through something. I think she will be fine and trust me I know how chocolate labs are and the recovery will be really fast! LOL

October 31, 2007 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home