My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://dogblog.8pawsup.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Update on Cheyenne

It has been almost a week now since we brought Cheyenne to the vet and she was diagnosed with OCD. I am happy to report that she is doing very well and hasn't been limping at all. For the last week, she has been on an anti-inflammatory/steroid medication, joint supplements twice daily, crated at night and when we are not home, not going to dog parks, not going to doggie daycare, and no long walks. Yes, I know, I have been a bad mommy. The vet had said that our Lab baby was to be crated 23 out of 24 hours a day and no walks at all. Well, needless to say, she is 8-months old and a ball of energy so we had to make some adjustments to this prescription.

Now before you go on bashing me for being the most rotten Lab mommy, let me explain a couple of things. First, she is not allowed to run around the backyard and is either on a leash or we are out there to stop her. Second, she is not allowed to rough-house with her sister, Dakota. They can play mildly but as soon as it becomes the Indy-500, they are stopped. Thirdly, there was only one walk and it was a slow walk, on grass, around 1 block only. On the walk, Cheyenne was not allowed to run or jump... Just a slow and steady walk on a soft surface.

As for being crated 23 out of 24 hours; well there is no need really. At this very moment, I am sitting at my desk with Cheyenne asleep to my left and Dakota asleep to my right. (Heaven forbid if I have to get up to go to the bathroom right now!) Since they are behaving and Cheyenne is resting, there is no need for her to be in the crate. Of course, if she starts to become her normal, wild-demon self again, she will be "kenneled up". If there is no need, then why confine the pup? I mean, Lab puppy energy is hard enough as it is, but to contain it for 23 out of 24 hours a day is suicide!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home