My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://dogblog.8pawsup.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

WARNING! New flea & tick medicine

Warning Sign
Just received an email from my contact at a local Lab rescue and knew I had to pass it on:

"This is Jo and this is a very important message to my family & friends who have dogs-cats--and to alert you to the hazard of using a new Flea & Tick Preventative called ProMeris http://www.promeris.com/consumer/.

This is a new product designed to be a more effective product than other flea/tick treatments that was just released this year. It is available thru a vet and not currently on-line. I got ProMeris this week for my 7 dogs (6 Huskies & 1 Golden-Airedale) , and the results were debilitating for nearly all of them-including me. Since my incident this week, my vet has pulled it from distribution and alerted the manufacturer, Fort Dodge.

Here are my results: Within less than 2 hours after applying, 4 of my dogs had vomited from 2-4 times, 3 were disoriented and stumbling, 1 was dragging his back leg, 1 was salivating. I had very similar symptoms like an allergic reaction-my lips were swollen, eyes very red, mucous membranes such as eyes, nose, and mouth were stinging. I was very disoriented- dizzy equilibrium and not able to drive. To make this a short story-all 7 of my dogs were admitted to the hospital for veterinarian care, and 3 of them remained for care, IV fluids and observation for 24 hours. I was in the emergency room. I'm home now and so are the dogs. We're all feeling much better. Vet bills were over $2,500 and Fort Dodge is paying for these. Not only can the product cause this reaction, it has a highly noxious odor that permeated the house and is just starting to dissipate after 3 days.

Your dogs/cats might not have the same reaction, but given my experience-I wanted to help you all become well-educated about the product."

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Thanks for the tip!

April 15, 2008 7:47 AM  
Blogger thejoysofjess said...

We tried this last month because our vet had a free sample. My pup did not have this reaction, but it was pretty much useless. Living in Florida, fleas are already an issue for us and she scratched and itched the entire month. Frontline is much more effective.

April 15, 2008 8:53 PM  
Blogger i said...

Oh the poor dogs. Hope they'll get better soon. Thanks for sharing it here.

April 16, 2008 12:15 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I decided to post this because it actually helps dog owners become more well informed about what they put on or in their dogs. Some dog owners don't pay attention or do their homework and just decide to listen to someone else - even if they have a gut feeling that it is wrong advice. If the post wakes up dog owners to take control of their dog's care and do the research, then it has served well. :)

April 16, 2008 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home