My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Knee Mend

Cheyenne Relaxing
A yearly checkup with the veterinarian has confirmed that Cheyenne is still on the mend for a stretched ligament in her back left knee.

After a handful of yearly vaccines, our vet still could not get Cheyenne to comment on her knee problem. The twists and pops of her knee in his hands didn't even get a glance from our 3-year old chocolate Labrador Retriever. Nope - our pup loves to use "avoidance" when something bothers her and even a broken toe during her puppy days didn't come to light until she was 2 years old and an x-ray done to diagnose Canine Osteochondritis Dessicans (OCD).

So what do we do now? We have 3 choices: 1) wait it out to see if she gets better or worse, 2) have the vet sedate her so that he can palpitate the joint freely without resistance or 3) have him perform exploratory surgery. After weighing the risks and Cheyenne's overall health and happiness, we decided to wait it out. Since it comes and goes, she is not in any pain so it may be on the mend all by itself. The good news is that we have x-rays from a couple of months ago to look back on should she seem to be getting worse and need further x-rays.

The prognosis is - if we continue to keep an eye on it and gets x-rays every few months, we can see if there is any arthritic change and decide what is best for Cheyenne as we go along.

For now we will continue to have playtime that limit any abrupt halts in running (such as running after a balls, stick, etc.) but let her continue to play, run, and have fun for her name is Cheyenne and she is a true Labrador Retriever!



Blogger missbreezysbox said...

My Ozzbourne is the same way. Good choice to wait it out.

February 16, 2009 12:16 PM  
Anonymous Dog Hair Dog Hair said...

What a very informative blog and post. I'm excited to learn more from you!

February 16, 2009 8:23 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Sorry to hear she is still on the mend, but good to know she isn't really in any pain. Waiting it out sounds like the same choice I'd make in that circumstance. Your dogs are gorgeous and your blog has been so helpful. We have a Chocolate Lab that is 7 month old and it has been quite the adventure!

February 17, 2009 12:39 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Thank you all for the feedback. I think waiting is wise as well - plus she isn't in any pain and it doesn't stop her from playing one bit. Monitoring is the best action this time around. :)

February 20, 2009 6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home